Professional Body Memberships
Fellow of the RSA Fellow of the CIoB, 1983 >
Member of the CIArb, 1988 > Fellow of the RICS, 2003 >
Professional / Voluntary Appointments
Trustee of CIoB, 2008 > 2010 Chair of Yorkshire Branch, CIoB, XXXX > XXXX
Chair of Leeds & WY, CIoB, XXXX > XXXX
Arbitration Practice & Procedure, CEM, 1997 Arbitration Award Writing, CEM, 1997
Adjudication, Advanced Course, 2004 Adjudication, Introduction Course, 2004
Batty France Consultancy, 1977 > Y B A Consultancy, 1974 > 1977 Wm Airey & Son [Leeds] Ltd, 1961 > 1974
I began my career in construction with a builder when I joined Wm Airey & Son [Leeds] Ltd as an articled apprentice quantity surveyor. I graduated in 1965 with the benefit of attendance at the Leeds College of Technology. I was subsequently elected into membership of the then Institute of Builders and the RICS in the 60’s and became a Fellow of each institution in 1983 and 2003 respectively. I became a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 1988.
In 1974 I formed my own consultancy Practice, Y B A Consultancy with an emphasis on quantity surveying, construction cost economics principally to contractors and sub-contractors with whom I had worked during years previously. During 1976 I formed a trading relationship with Ted Batty FCIArb known as Batty France Consultancy principally to undertake a broader spectrum of construction management and administration. We commenced Project Management services in 1977.
I have been commissioned variously by clients to carry out many many construction related duties over the years, including Project Management, Construction Management, Traditional Quantity Surveying, and increasingly acting as an Expert Witness. In the role of Expert Witness, appointments have included disciplines such as specification, valuations, time / loss / expense, estimating, delay / disruption claims, and project management. Recent extensions to Expert Work has seen me becoming increasingly involved in Mediation and Expert Determination. I am also regularly appointed as an adjudicator and as an advocate in adjudication and arbitration.
I have been in a number of positions within the CIoB both locally and nationally which I have found both enlightening and professionally interesting:
1. I was elected as a Trustee in 2008 following the decision by the Institute to adopt a form of governance with elected representatives from across the world;
2. I am past-chair of Yorkshire Branch and the Leeds & West Yorkshire Centre and continue to serve on both committees;
3. I was a founder member of the Faculty of Architecture and Surveying Board;
4. I represent the institute on various external committees including the Construction Industry Council, Concourse [for which I am vice-chair, company secretary and Trustee of the Board] and otherwise an Ambassador relating to sustainability and building regulation;
5. I am a member of the CIoB Professional Conduct Panel;
6. I am a member of the panel of adjudicators for CIoB Construction Manager of the Year Awards and have been since 2004, presently serving as a Chairman and Chair of Chairs;
7. I am an appointed EPA Assessor;
I am Chair of Construction Skills Regional Construction Group for Yorkshire & Humber and sit on the English National Partnership.
For City of Leeds YMCA I have served on the Board of Trustees since 1980 and I presently its Chairman; having served as Chairman of Hawksworth Wood YMCA between 1981 until 1990.B
I am heavily involved in local, circuit and district activities for the Methodist Church being a member at Yeadon where I am a Trustee and Property Manager. I am also a Trustee of the Otley & Aireborough Circuit and Property Manager for the Circuit also.